Aims & Ethos
See our full Vision, Values & Aims Policy here.
We are committed to providing a nurturing, safe and vibrant learning environment that fosters a love of learning and enables every student to become the best they can be. Respectful and supportive relationships are at the heart of all that we do: we value every member of the school community equally. We recognise that our pupils bring different experiences, interests and strengths, and we understand these will influence the way they learn. Therefore, we take a childcentred approach to education that recognises and responds to individual need. We celebrate effort and achievements and set high expectations. We are here to help our students learn the skills they need to become successful, motivated and resilient young adults who are fully equipped to make a positive contribution to society.
Branas Isaf operates an integrated model of care, education and therapy underpinned by the Good Lives Model. The school exists to improve the quality of life of our pupils both
now and in their future. We specialise in supporting the Good Lives Model as a framework to offender rehabilitation, and as an underpinning therapeutic model across both care and education for the development of pupils.
The Good Lives Model (GLM) is grounded in the ethical concept of human dignity and universal human rights, and as such,
it has a strong emphasis on human agency. That is, he GLM is concerned with individuals’ ability to formulate and select goals, construct plans, and to act freely in the implementation of these plans. A closely related assumption is the basic premise that offenders, like all humans, value certain states of mind, personal characteristics, and experiences, which are defined in the GLM as primary goods. characteristics, and experiences, which are defined in the GLM as primary goods. Following the decision to offer a place, all paperwork will be circulated to the Registered Manager and made available to the Headteacher who will be able to use this to draw up an individual Induction Plan.
- All pupils will undergo a 2 week induction period where we look to initial assess and diagnose learners within core subjects areas and look to support a transition timetable to reintegrate learners successfully back into education
- Within the first 6-weeks all pupils will undergo in depth assessments in order for us to fully understand them and their needs for effective learning;
- Everyone in Branas Isaf supports and challenges pupils to invest in education as a priority for a successful placement;
- All pupils are supported and challenged to achieve at least 95% attendance in school;
- All pupils are supported and challenged to engage in creative learning experiences appropriate to their needs, and supported by an accurate individual learning plan;
- All pupils are supported and challenged to achieve nationally recognised academic awards in core subjects;
- All pupils are supported and challenged to achieve accreditation in a wide range of subject areas ;
- All pupils are supported and challenged to become independent learners;
- All pupils learn how to keep themselves safe, and build positive relationships with those around them;
- All pupils are enabled to take part in decisions that shape their lives, the school and the community in which they live;
- All pupils are supported to demonstrate the behaviours needed to stretch themselves and cope with the challenges of learning;
- All pupils are enabled to attend and participate in regular therapy sessions;
- All pupils learn strategies to manage their feelings and know where to go for help when things are difficult;
- All pupils will have the opportunity to participate in work experience and work-related learning opportunities;
- All our pupils learn the skills to interpret data and apply mathematical concepts;
- All our pupils learn the skills to use digital technologies creatively and safely in preparation for the world in which they will live;
- All pupils are supported and challenged to lead healthy, active lifestyles and be prepared to make a positive contribution to society as adults.